The Prolost After Effects presets work best in your User Presets folder. The location of this folder varies with your operating system and your After Effects version. Sometimes After Effects fails to create this folder — see below.
After Effects CS6, Mac
~/Documents/Adobe/After Effects CS6/User Presets/
After Effects CC 2017, Mac
~/Documents/Adobe/After Effects CC 2017/User Presets/
After Effects CS6, Windows
My Documents\Adobe\After Effects CS6\User Presets\
After Effects CC 2017, Windows
My Documents\Adobe\After Effects CC 2017\User Presets\
Creating the User Presets Folder
After Effects may not create the User Presets folder automatically when it is installed. You can force After Effects to create this folder by saving a dummy preset. Here’s how:
- Launch After Effects, and create a new project.
- Create a new composition, and a new Solid Layer.
- Apply any effect to the Solid.
- Choose Animation → Save Animation Preset...
- A Save dialog should appear, targeting the User Presets folder. Save the file with a name like
junk.ffx. Be sure not to change the destination folder.
- You should now have the User Presets folder corresponding with your version of After Effects (see above list).
- Install your Prolost preset(s) as instructed.
- After you install your Prolost preset(s), you can delete
If That Doesn’t Work
...then you have to create the User Presets folder manually, like an animal. Make it look just like the file paths above — whichever one matches your OS and After Effects version.